Thursday, March 27, 2008

at a certain point you have to look elsewhere



I’ve posted below a link to some older work of mine. It’s been a loooong time since I posted anything new to it, but it’s a solid body of work that I recognize as important to what I’m doing now. These older works are a sort of “dumbing down” of painting for me; looking for what's important in the idea and nevermind the product. How many different types of solace are there? Through that detachment in the work I became bored with satellite thoughts orbiting the bigger questions and started paying more attention to the spaces of the wall revealed in between the way I was hanging these pieces. Making that space just as interesting as the decoration are to the wall, instead of a respite. That in-between-ness in the works, in the studio, language, understanding, conversation, etc. is what I’m working with now. The weather is changing. The studio pictures I’ve posted here are of recent works based on fortification patterns: migraine-induced concentric patterns I see when my eyes are shut.

www.paulwaltersimmons.com

No comments: