Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Obsession...the good kind













Idolizing Leo Version 2.mp3

(Be sure to check the link to the mp3)


This is a little snip from my artist statement:

"My recent work develops out of a fascination for exploring Hollywood films and celebrity as a process. I start by finding images or references that serve as a visual point of departure. It is most often a pop culture reference which has some level of personal significance or attachment. My process of working involves taking these images and allowing them to be deliberately manipulated and broken down, separating the image from its original meaning and content. My goal is to allow myself to become completely immersed in my image and explore these images to a point that they begin to take on their own identity. I consider myself not only a “consumer, watcher, recipient, and victim [of mass media and pop culture]. But also a user of that media and culture: I am a chooser, interpreter, shaper, fellow player, participant, and storyteller” (Gerard Jones, Killing Monsters). The finished artwork is often a byproduct of the process.
When the work is reassembled, in whatever form it may take on, it becomes something that begins to transcend its origins and take on a new existence. For me, the process of this work is a digestive process. By turning these references into shards and fragments and subsequently reconstructing them, new work emerges. Through obsession, I create."

I hope this quarter to begin examining what it means to be obsessed with the movies that I am and to dig a little deeper into ideas about recreating celebrity and whatnot.

1 comment:

meredith host said...

out of curiosity...

what are your top ten favorite movies?