Wednesday, March 26, 2008

a pinch of salt, a dash of water, a sheet of newsprint



Using easy-to-find and cheap materials, I've been trying to make pieces that transcend the sum of their parts. Newsprint has provided a lot of inspiration, as has road salt, ceramic slip, charcoal, fabric, paint, and water. I have a background in painting and ceramics, so it's really interesting to see how they are making their way into the work. I'm trying to generate as many experiments as possible, which has been a really liberating way of working in comparison to the narrative, symbolism-rich work I made prior to OSU. The predominant themes I see at play so far include: making evident the presence and absence of water; referencing fabric without using fabric; challenging viewer expectations of materials; and engaging the floor/the lower periphery of the eye. Over the break, I put together a blog: http://www.nicolemgibbs.blogspot.com/. I feel so official now!

No comments: