Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Between You and Me...and what we share and not share


What I do.
I move around and I arrange images of people moving around.
I am interested in looking at the dynamic of dance and the metaphor created through the image that contains moving bodies.
We (dance artists) are dealing with momentary images that are not possible to duplicate.
So, what happens during this moment that we share in this particular place and time?
What can remain with us and what has already gone by?

Rather than looking at the actually content of a dance I created,
I look at what was created in the room between different audience members and the dance.

My recent project, the one that premiered two weeks ago, dealt with manipulating the boundary of seeing. The audience were seated in one of the biggest studio space in an arena setting while the piece happens in and out of their sight, sometimes up close and sometimes blocked by other audience members. What I intended to highlight from this piece was that it is the act of watching that dictates how an event was remembered. Therefore, what the event "was."

No comments: