Thursday, April 10, 2008

form reconciles animus?



As a preview to my presentation... Many critics in the past few decades have manipulated the phase "form follows function" to reposition the relationship of architecture to its constituents. Though the phrase can be traced back to American sculptor Horatio Greenough, its architectural roots are with Louis Sullivan who triggered the careers of such architects as Le Corbusier, Walter Gropius, Alvar Aalto, Mies van der Rohe and Gerrit Rietveld to name a few. Function, or "program" as we refer to it, is a rather impossible thing to avoid, yet we can consider more contemporary issues to associate with form.

Attempting to frame my work in a more diachronic relationship with this issue, I've revised the statement to "form reconciles animus". The most prominent techniques with form today revolve around an issue of effects generated by form (a few of which I'll discuss in my presentation). The "thing" that generates the effect could be called its animus...the disposition or animating spirit about the architecture. It's no longer the idea of the Sublime mentioned countlessly through art and architectural history, but more of its antithesis.

Since I will be showing a lot of work this week I won't post a lot of images, but here is one of my first projects in grad school. It dealt with adapting a new wall system to a historical Usonian house in northern Ohio by Frank Lloyd Wright. I chose to work with light and form. Here's my "solar aperture wall".


No comments: